| Add Bobbins and Threads to Favourites | Contact Us | Help | Site Map |
history on Neilston Mill and the community of Neilston
| Amenities Guide | Event Guide | Pub Guide | Club Guide | Business Guide | Links |

Contact Webmaster
Submit Photographs

Site Best Viewed
1024 x 768

Neilston Mill its History

The Crofthead Mill has a long history with Neilston and has been involved in many technological advances in the textile industry as well as playing a large part in the development of Neilston as a village.

It has been part of the community for nearly 200 years with many generations of families learning trades and gaining employable skills. This has led to many local villagers becoming managers in many of the companies overseas business

If you wish to add any important dates then send us the information via our contact us page. we will gladly add your information about Neilston Mill.
Mill Survey
When were you employed
by the Neilston Mill

Crofthead Mill Established
1792   Original Mill founded in 1792 by James Orr & Co
1859   Purchased by R.F. & J Alexander who already owned cotton mills in Duke street, Glasgow.
Royal Approval
1890   R.F. & J Alexander awarded royal warrant from Queen Victoria for their ball sewing threads and exported their threads all over the world.
1891   Current mill was built due to increased orders from all over the world.
1898   R.F. & J Alexander became part of the English Sewing Cotton Co LTD
Major Expansion at Mill
1900   Mills employed more than 1000 employees producing threads which was then wound on balls, spools and cops.Large amounts of workers travelled from the Duke street mills. The Company builds 250 mill houses to cope with the expansion

1910   On 12th May, 1910, The Crofthead Mill management made changes to wage rates and production speeds for 120 girls who worked in the copwinding dept. The changes caused a strike which lasted for 11 days and victory for the workers.

1949   Introduction of employee long service award. This award was given to employees with more than 41 years service with the company. This award was changed in 1976 allowing employees with 25 years to be eligible.

1963   Partnership with Tootal Broadhurst Lee Co LTD with company still trading under its own name.

1969   Merger with Calico Printers Association to form Calico English LTD

1973   Company changes its name to the Highly respected Tootal Brand which was well known for its high quality and service.

1975   Mill threads were their on the ascent of Mount Everest by a climbing expedition in the form of threads used in the climbers boots.

Mill Closure
1992   Closure of Crofthead Mill and major staff redundancies, transferral of remaining production and staff to mill in Newton Mearns factory.

Bobbins and Threads is listed with the Open Directory Project at dmoz.org
HomeOur Memories Submit A StoryExhibitions Photographs
Neilston MillQuiz Guest BookOur Sponsors Club News